August 21-31, 2023
Space is limited!
Apply now to be part of this unique leadership cohort!
What is Perspectives?
Perspectives is a 10-day trip to Israel and the Palestinian Territories for 15 non-Jewish and 5 Jewish student campus leaders at the University of Washington who are interested in deepening their knowledge about one of the world’s most discussed regions.
On this intentional, experiential, educational, and immersive trip, students explore and wrestle with the complexities and nuances of Israel and the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.
This highly selective program seeks students who are motivated to better understand Israel and Palestine and to share what they learn with the broader UW community. Throughout the journey, participants will be expected to ask challenging questions, engage in group discussions and reflection, and practice active listening.
Participants will be required to participate in intensive pre-trip orientation sessions during the spring quarter of 2023. The cohort will reconvene after the trip for follow-up programming during the 2023-24 academic year.
What to expect on the program
- Explore the multi-ethnic, religious, and national diversity of the Old City of Jerusalem and other parts of Israel and the Palestinian Territories.
- Tour the separation barrier/security wall that divides Israel and the West Bank.
- Gain a close-up understanding of the geopolitical challenges on the Gaza-Israel border in the south and the Syria-Israel border in the north.
- Visit Tel Aviv and Jaffa, Haifa and Akko, Jerusalem, and key sites of interest throughout Israel.
- Visit Ramallah, the current capital of the Palestinian Authority, and other areas of the Palestinian Territories to hear from Palestinian leaders and locals.
- Learn from, and engage with, a variety of voices and perspectives from the religious, secular, Druze, Christian, Jewish-Israeli, Palestinian, Muslim, and other communities.
- Meet journalists, politicians, artists, intellectuals, activists, and other leaders.
- Enjoy delicious cuisine, hike in the beautiful desert, and build community with a diverse group of fellow UW students.
- Click here to view a draft of the proposed summer 2023 itinerary.
Airfare to/from Israel, two meals per day, 10-day guided tour of Israel, accommodations in 4-5 star hotels and authentic Israeli Kibbutzim (communal farms), plus travel medical insurance is fully-underwritten. Participants are asked to cover transportation to and from SeaTac, one meal per day, and spending money for snacks, souvenirs, etc.
Participants, upon acceptance to the program, are required to pay a deposit of $250. If the fee is a barrier to application, please contact Rabbi Lauren or Amee Sherer, Hillel UW’s Executive Director.
Who should apply?
Qualified candidates are:
- Enrolled at the University of Washington-Seattle
- Have at least one year left studying at UW (rising sophomores and juniors preferred)
- Engaged in on-campus leadership roles
- Not afraid to ask challenging questions
- Willing to engage in group discussion and reflection
- Seasoned active listeners
The trip is run under the auspices of Hillel UW and is open to all, regardless of background.
- Applications are due April 4, 2023 by midnight.
- Applications are accepted on a rolling basis until spots are filled.
- Interviews will take place on a rolling basis in February and March.
- Applicants will be notified during the week of or before April 24, 2023.
- Upon acceptance, candidates will pay a $250 deposit. If a candidate is offered and accepts a spot but ultimately cannot participate, the candidate will be eligible for a deposit refund if Hillel UW is notified before ticketing (the first week of May).
- Pre-trip orientation sessions will take place:
- Tuesday, May 30, 7:00 pm-8:30 pm in person at Hillel UW
- Sunday, July 16, time TBD, virtual (link to be provided.)
- The Perspectives trip will run August 21-31, 2023.
- Post-trip programming will take place in the 2023-24 academic year, dates TBA.
Please note that Hillel UW continues to follow all UW, Seattle, and CDC safety and health guidelines related to COVID-19. Please be advised that the trip could be postponed or canceled due to changing COVID restrictions. If there are any trip changes, we will tell participants as quickly as possible so as to minimize schedule disruptions or out-of-pocket costs for participants.